Vegetable and prawn tempura. Chef Ainsley Harriott presents an easy step-by-step guide to cooking vegetable and prawn tempura. Simple Japanese inspired recipe from BBC cookery show. Tempura (天ぷら or 天麩羅, tenpura, [tempɯɾa]) is a typical Japanese dish usually consisting of seafood, meat and vegetables that have been battered and deep fried.
When making tempura at home, the goal is a crispy yet airy coating that doesn't absorb oil when. When you remove prawn and vegetable tempura from the oil, you will see crunchy deep fried flour crumbs floating on the deep frying oil. It is called 'Tenkasu' which means tempura waste though they are not really a waste. You can cook Vegetable and prawn tempura using 15 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Vegetable and prawn tempura
- You need 4 of medium size prawns (peeled and without the head but with the end of the tail).
- Prepare 1 of cleaned medium squid (about 11 oz. of squid).
- Prepare 4 of shitake mushrooms without stems.
- Prepare 1 of small scallion.
- It’s of For the sauce:.
- You need 1/2 of cup of dashi broth (Japanese stock base).
- You need 3 of tbsp. of mirin.
- You need 3 of tbsp. of Japanese soy sauce.
- It’s 4 of oz. daikon radish (daikon oroshi).
- Prepare 1 of tbsp. of ginger.
- It’s of For the batter:.
- It’s 1 of egg yolk.
- You need 1/2 of cup of ice water.
- You need 1/2 of cup of sifted flour.
- You need 2 of cups of Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Spain.
Prawn and vegetable tempura (Justine's Flavours of Fuji)Source: Justine's Flavours of Fuji. Batter. ½ cup plain flour, kept in the freezer overnight. Place the flour onto a plate and dredge the prawns into it to cover well. Dip the prawns into the batter and carefully add to the hot oil to deep-fry in batches for.
Vegetable and prawn tempura instructions
- Peel the prawns by holding the end of the tail and removing the intestine from the body. Make cross cuts around the prawn legs to avoid it contracting and shrinking when fried. Dry the prawns well. Set aside..
- Clean and cut the squid into 4 cm rectangles and cut into the outside of the squid to prevent it from shrinking. Dry the squid well. Set aside..
- Cut the scallions in half. Stick 3 or 4 cocktail sticks in the scallion so that the sticks hold the different layers of each section together and cut them into "half moons". Set aside..
- Clean and remove the stem from the mushrooms. If they are too large, cut them in half. Set aside.
- Grate the ginger and daikon turnip. Set aside..
- Heat the Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Spain in a wok and prepare the batter while it heats up.For the tempura to become crispy once fried, it is essential to mix the ingredients of the batter slowly. It should have a semi-liquid texture. In a bowl, beat the egg yolk, add the ice water and mix very lightly with some chopsticks. Add all the flour and mix all the ingredients to make a lumpy mixture..
- When the Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Spain reaches 340 °F, start to fry each ingredient as follows: flour the ingredient and shake off any excess flour. Then wet it in the batter. Carefully drop it into the boiling oil until it is lightly browned. Remove it from the oil and let it dry on a plate with paper towel..
- To finish, mix the sauce with the grated ginger and the grated daikon..
- Combine all the liquid ingredients in a casserole, bring it to the boil and keep it warm..
- Serve the freshly fried ingredients on a plate, accompanied by a bowl of sauce to dip them into..
Top tip for making Prawn tempura. Woman's Weekly's Sue McMahon says don't worry too much if the batter ends up slightly lumpy, as the lumps will make it more crunchy. How To Make Prawn and Vegetable Tempura. I am not familiar with many Japanese dishes but one dish that I know very well and love a lot too is Tempura. I, and so many people I know, can't just have enough of prawn tempura.