Pastelón de Platano Maduro (Puerto Rican Lasagna). Great recipe for Pastelón de Platano Maduro (Puerto Rican Lasagna). This is Puerto Rican lasagna using ripe plantains instead of the pasta. Top with a final layer of plantains.
It's called pastelón de platano maduro (sweet plantains), but I like to call it Puerto Rican Lasagna. It has layers of saucy meat and cheese, but instead of lasagna noodles we use sweet plantains. Pastelón de plátano maduro is a typical dish from the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. You can have Pastelón de Platano Maduro (Puerto Rican Lasagna) using 6 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Pastelón de Platano Maduro (Puerto Rican Lasagna)
- You need of +/- Picadillo (I have a recipe for this).
- Prepare of Very Ripe Plantains.
- Prepare of Oil in large skillet.
- Prepare of Mozzarella or cheese of your choice.
- It’s of Eggs Beaten.
- It’s of Milk.
It can be used as the main dish, with a salad on the side or you can have it as a side dish. It's an easy to make recipe. This pastelon recipe is validated by our Dominican culinary expert, Chef Carlos Estevez. Pastelon is a Puerto Rican dish first recommended to me by one of my nurses, who is from Puerto Rico.
Pastelón de Platano Maduro (Puerto Rican Lasagna) instructions
- Preheat oil on med-high in skillet.
- Select Plantains such as these.
- Peel plantains and cut into thin slices lengthwise. Each Plantain should make 5-6 slices..
- Slicing the Plantains can be tricky. Here is a good method to use..
- Put Plantains in skillet a few at a time and cook on both sides until golden brown..
- When brown remove to plate with paper towels..
- When Plantains are fried, butter 13×13 casserole dish..
- Lay out Plantains on bottom leaving as little space as possible in-between..
- Put a layer as thick as you like of Picadillo on Plantains..
- Combine Milk with Beaten Eggs and add a thin layer on top of meat mixture..
- Put a layer of Cheese on top of Meat..
- Alternate layers as many as you wish. Commonly there are 3 layers of Plantains and 2 layers of Meat.
- Finish top layer with Plantains, Egg and Cheese.
- Bake in 350° oven for 30 minutes or until heated through. May want to broil momentarily to brown cheese..
- Allow to rest for a few minutes to make slicing easier..
Picture a lasagna, but instead of noodles for the separating layers, you use plantains. There are many variations, but this is how I prepare it. Plus, a lot of the common additions to Pastelon – like capers, olives or raisins, if you desire. This is Maldo's recipe and made it last. Reserve ¼ cup, then refrigerate the remaining sofrito in a mason jar for another use or freeze.