Weeknight Veggie Lasagna. Weeknight Veggie Lasagna Pasta Patrick @pastapatrick Washington, Washington, D. This recipe is a two-fer, one lasagna for now and one for later. Don't bother telling me you only need one lasagna, you absolutely need a lasagna for your freezer.
Don't bother telling me you only need one lasagna, you absolutely need a lasagna for your freezer. Kath -my mom- always had/has a lasagna in the freezer for the days she is either too busy to cook or is too tired to whip up something new, a tradition I have also taken to heart. Layer with uncooked lasagna noodles, followed by cheese mixture, and then sauce. You can have Weeknight Veggie Lasagna using 24 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Weeknight Veggie Lasagna
- Prepare of For Pasta.
- Prepare 1 c of tipo “00” flour.
- It’s 1 c of semolina flour.
- You need 4 of eggs.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- It’s pinch of salt.
- It’s of For Layers.
- Prepare 1 of small onion.
- You need 6 cloves of garlic.
- It’s 1 of med zucchini (cubed).
- You need 1 of med eggplant (cubed).
- Prepare 1 carton of mushrooms (diced).
- It’s 1 can of diced tomatoes.
- You need 24 oz of container ricotta cheese.
- You need 1 of egg.
- Prepare of basil/oregano/parsley chopped approx 1 large handful.
- It’s 1 (15 oz) of jar of tomato sauce.
- It’s 1 (15 oz) of jar of alfredo sauce (optional).
- Prepare 2 cup of grated parmesan/mozzarella/provolone/asiago (I typically buy six cheese blend at the grocery store -2 bags).
- You need 1 packet of mozzarella pearls (optional but highly recommended).
- You need of Seasoning.
- It’s of salt & pepper to taste.
- Prepare of red pepper flakes.
- It’s of dried oregano.
Repeat layers and top with remaining mozzarella cheese. Arrange another layer of lasagna sheets on top. Arrange a final layer of lasagna sheets over the top, spread with the remaining ricotta sauce, and sprinkle with the parmesan. (You can prepare and assemble the lasagna a few hours in advance. Add jalapeno, bell pepper, zucchini, carrots, and peas.
Weeknight Veggie Lasagna step by step
- Begin by making your pasta dough. Take one cup of semolina flour and one cup of “00” flour and place them on your counter. Make a well in the center of the flour..
- Add the four eggs, a drizzle of olive oil, and a pinch of salt. Begin stirring the eggs in the well with a fork, slowly beating the egg and incorporating the flour. As the flour becomes incorporated a dough will form..
- As the dough begins to form, use your hands to shape it into a ball and begin to knead, making sure to include all the flour..
- Knead the dough until smooth and elastic. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and rest for a minimum of 10 minutes..
- Begin preparing the other components of the lasagna. Dice all veggies into small bite size chunks and chop the onions and garlic. Sauté the onion and garlic with some olive oil and once softened add the zucchini, eggplant, and mushrooms..
- Once they have also softened add the diced tomatoes, allow to simmer for 3-5 min and remove from the stove. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside for lasagna construction – once cooled add the mozzarella pearls (optional)..
- Mix the ricotta, egg, chopped herbs, and salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes (to taste) in a mixing bowl. Set aside..
- Now comes the fun part, lasagna construction. I work in layers. Noodle, ricotta mixture, veggies, sauce, cheese, and repeat! If you made your own pasta, fantastic! Store bought noodles are fine but making your own is the best and nothing is more satisfying than fresh pasta. Using the pasta roller attachment for my KitchenAid mixer I roll long sheets to a “5” thickness..
- This can also be done using a rolling pin, when using this method try to roll a lasagna sheet out that will cover the entire layer. Noodles should not be too thick but also be able to maintain the lasagna’s structure..
- Begin by spreading a spoonful or two of tomato sauce in your lasagna pan. This recipe will make one large and one small lasagna or two medium sized lasagnas – don’t worry this is on purpose. Next, lay down a sheet of lasagna noodles to cover the bottom of the pan. I typically use ceramic baking dishes or disposable aluminum pans..
- On top of the noodle layer add an even layer of the ricotta mixture, enough to cover the noodle fully. On top of this layer add a layer of veggies and mozzarella pearls. I like to put a couple spoonfuls of tomato sauce and alfredo sauce on top of this layer and then swirl with a knife. Finally I add some mozzarella or Italian cheese blend on top. The first layers are now complete..
- Repeat this process again, adding noodle, ricotta mixture, veggies, sauce, and then one more layer of cheese. Finally I add the last noodle layer, tomato sauce to cover the pasta and then I add a layer of cheese. Dust the top of the lasagna with oregano, salt, and pepper..
- With the remaining ingredients, assemble your second lasagna repeating the prior steps. This is very important – Daddy says, “Always have a lasagna in the freezer – you never know when you won’t want to cook.” Whichever lasagna is going into the freezer, wrap it with plastic wrap and then foil and throw it in the freezer for later..
- To cook the fresh lasagna cover with tin foil and bake at 375° for 30 min – remove the foil and turn the broiler on, broil the lasagna until the cheese on top is a golden melty brown. To cook the frozen lasagna add an extra 5-10 min at 375° and then broil..
- Typically I use jarred sauce unless I have some frozen sauce already in the freezer…I know lazy, but it really saves time when you’re making dinner for tonight and later. I’ll either buy a local sauce or whatever is cheapest, typically it depends on if it’s a paycheck week or not. It’s still homemade if you use jar sauce and it can be our little secret..
- Oh, you have a yellow squash in the fridge? Use it! Veggie lasagna is a vers queen and would love to have whatever veggie you have in the fridge, switch it up and make it seasonal we know it’ll be delicious.
Add in oregano, red crushed pepper, salt, and black pepper. You can't go wrong with adding any of these vegetarian lasagna recipes to your weeknight meal prep. You can even freeze some of these lasagnas ahead of time for an easy make-ahead option. The end result is a super flavorful, nutrient-dense, veggie-packed lasagna. This lasagna might not be the quickest weeknight option around, but it is a reasonably simple recipe that will absolutely satisfy your comfort food cravings.