Squash Lasagna. Use a vegetable peeler to peel the yellow squash into ribbons. Add the squash to a large bowl. Place tomatoes in a food processor or blender; cover and process until smooth.
Press with additional paper towels to remove excess moisture. In a large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Scrape out strands of squash with a fork and transfer to a bowl. You can have Squash Lasagna using 12 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Squash Lasagna
- It’s 1 can of tomato paste.
- Prepare 10 of roma tomatoes.
- Prepare 1 bunch of basil.
- You need 1 of large purple onion.
- It’s 1 clove of garlic.
- It’s 2 lbs of ground beef.
- It’s 1 lb of ground sausage.
- It’s 6-10 of zucchini and/or yellow squash.
- It’s 2 pint of containers of ricotta cheese.
- It’s 1 block of mozzarella.
- It’s of Olive oil.
- You need of Itallian seasoning or equivalent fresh herbs.
Mix half of the mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, egg, and Parmesan cheese together in a bowl. Roasted squash and sage are classic fall and winter flavors. I wanted to find the best way to incorporate them into a rich, creamy lasagna. The result—after a bit of tweaking and testing, of course—was a squash lasagna with intense, rich, sweet squash flavor balanced with chunks of sage-scented browned squash and apple, all layered with a creamy Gruyère white sauce and layers of tender pasta.
Squash Lasagna step by step
- Chop onions, tomatoes, basil, and garlic to desired size. I'm pretty rough with this and call it rustic..
- Cut squash in rounds with mandolin..
- Brown Meat in a little olive oil. I like to do this in a cast iron pan. Drain and set aside..
- Carmelize onions in olive oil and/or meat drippings. I'll usually just toss them in the same cast iron. Then add fresh basil, garlic, and tomatoes. A few minutes later add tomato paste and seasoning..
- Add in meat and mix together. Remove from heat..
- Create bottom layer of squash in a casserole pan..
- Add sauce to casserole pan..
- Add layer of ricotta cheese to casserole pan..
- Add top layer of squash in casserole pan..
- Slice rough rounds of mozzarella for top of casserole pan..
- Bake in oven for 30-45 mins on 350 until cheese is melted to your preference..
In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, egg, Parmigiano-Reggiano, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Spread a light layer of tomato sauce on the bottom of the baking dish. My rich, saucy lasagna features winter squash at its finest. The whipped cream topping adds a unique twist to this meatless casserole packed with roasted butternut squash, two kinds of cheese and a host of seasonings. Make with either zucchini or yellow squash that is thinly sliced lengthwise with either a mandoline slicer or a knife.