Spaghetti Squash Lasagna. Mix half of the mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, egg, and Parmesan cheese together in a bowl. This sinfully delicious Spaghetti Squash Lasagna is made with all-natural marinara, part-skim ricotta cheese, grated Parmesan cheese, and healthy spaghetti squash. Spaghetti squash is also a great source of antioxidants including beta carotene.
Do not try to substitute a different kind of squash. Marinara sauce- Be sure to use a thick, chunky sauce. Stir in tomatoes, basil, bouillon cube, and black pepper. You can have Spaghetti Squash Lasagna using 13 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
- Prepare of large spaghetti squash, roasted.
- You need of olive oil.
- Prepare of onion, diced.
- You need of garlic, minced.
- It’s of ground sausage (could also use ground beef or ground turkey).
- It’s of marinara sauce (jarred or homemade).
- You need of salt and pepper.
- Prepare of dried basil.
- You need of Italian seasoning and oregano.
- Prepare of mozzarella cheese, shredded.
- It’s of parmesan cheese, shredded.
- Prepare of ricotta cheese.
- It’s of chopped parsley, for garnish.
Remove squash strands with a fork, reserving the shells. Layer each half with a spoonful of the sauce, a layer of spaghetti squash strands, olives, and mozzarella cheese. Scoop out the seed layer of spaghetti squash and discard. Drain excess liquid from spaghetti squash and scoop into a large bowl.
Spaghetti Squash Lasagna step by step
- You should already have your squash roasted when starting this recipe. Use a fork to remove the strands of squash from the shells and into a large bowl, if you haven't already done so, then set aside..
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8×8" baking dish and set aside..
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and cook until they are translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook just a minute or so more, until fragrant..
- Add the ground sausage and cook until browned, breaking it apart as you cook. Drain any grease, if necessary..
- Add the seasonings and the marinara sauce to the skillet. Allow to come to a simmer and let simmer for 5 or so minutes, then remove from heat..
- Pour half of the sauce and meat mixture onto the bottom of the prepared baking dish and spread it evenly across the bottom. Then spread half of the spaghetti squash over the top of the sauce..
- Spread 3/4 cup of the ricotta cheese over the squash, then sprinkle 1/2 cup of the mozzarella and 1/4 cup of the parmesan cheese over the ricotta..
- Spread the remaining sauce and meat mixture over the cheeses and then top with the remaining squash. Repeat the layering of the remaining cheeses..
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Then, uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes. To brown the cheese more, switch the oven to broil after the 10 minutes are up and broil until the cheese is golden, about 2-3 minutes. Once done, sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve immediately. Refrigerate any leftovers..
Reserve the shells, if using for serving (optional). When spaghetti squash is cool to the touch, use a fork to shred the inside of the squash, which will come out in strands that look like spaghetti. To assemble, remove half of the strands from each squash and set aside. Season the squash with salt and pepper, layer some of the lasagna sauce on top of the squash strands. A plant-based meal that's perfect for fall and winter!