Eggplant Lasagna. Our eggplant lasagna is a delicious, crowd-pleasing dinner that results from swapping traditional lasagna noodles for slabs of fresh eggplant. Besides being a great gluten-free and low-carb alternative to classic lasagna, this comforting casserole is the perfect way to put a load of summer eggplant to good use. The best eggplant to use in this lasagna recipe are the most tubular-shaped that.
Since the eggplant slices stand in for the lasagna noodles (a serious job in the business of lasagna), it's important that the eggplant both tastes great and has a fantastic texture. Lay eggplant slices out onto prepared baking sheets into a single layer. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. You can have Eggplant Lasagna using 9 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Eggplant Lasagna
- It’s of eggplants.
- Prepare of olive oil.
- You need of Salt and Pepper.
- It’s of cans pure tomato sauce.
- You need of garlic cloves.
- Prepare of whole milk ricotta cheese.
- It’s of eggs.
- Prepare of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- It’s of freshly chopped basil (separated).
Add a layer of eggplant slices, covering the bottom of the dish completely. It's okay if the eggplant slices overlap slightly. Add a layer of the ricotta mixture and spread in a thin, even layer. Using a mandolin or a thin knife, slice eggplant lengthwise into thin strips.
Eggplant Lasagna step by step
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Cut eggplant into ¼” (6mm)slices. Place on parchment lined baking sheets. Drizzle both sides with olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper..
- Bake eggplant for 7 mins each side and allow to cool (totally fine to do this part in stages as you may not be able to fit all the eggplant in your oven at once!).
- Allow eggplant to cool. Meanwhile prepare your sauce..
- In a large sauce pan, add the tomato sauce, garlic, salt and pepper to taste and red pepper flakes. Allow to simmer for 10 mins until sauce sweetens up and reduces a bit..
- Then prepare the ricotta mixture. In a medium bowl add ricotta cheese, eggs and basil..
- Then assemble your lasagna. In a large heat safe casserole pan, place a thin layer of sauce on the bottom and distribute evenly. On top place a single layer of eggplant on top of the eggplant spread 2/3 cup (160 ml) of the ricotta cheese mixture and sprinkle ¼ cup (60 ml) of shredded mozzarella cheese on top. Then add another single layer of eggplant and repeat the process creating 3 layers of “Lasagna” in total. The top layer should end with a layer of sauce and some more mozzarella cheese..
- Bake at 375F for 15-20mins until cheese is melted on top and casserole is cooked through..
- Garnish with some finely minced basil on top..
Lay slices on a cooling rack and season with salt. This easy eggplant lasagna recipe is all the flavor and comfort of classic lasagna but without the noodles! Roasted eggplant slices, layered with a delicious cheese mixture with spinach and fresh herbs. This is a yummy and easy Jewish eggplant lasagna! Preparation can be done ahead of time, refrigerated and baked later in the day.